Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Last (and Most Awesome) Race of the Season!


Yesterday I raced my shiny new bicycle (pictures of my build to follow-This picture is just off Redline's website) on the sickest course of the season. It was the last race of the season, the Colorado State Cyclocross Championships, and Mother Nature finally delivered for me! How? SNOW, ICE, and SNOTTY MUD :)

After several races that had potential to be snow races only to have them turn to packed in mud, I was despairing that I would ever have a chance to race the way I love it. And with temperatures in the 60(F)s early in the week prior to the last race of the season, it wasn't looking good. Then the temperatures plummeted.
I woke up Wednesday morning to a single digit weather report and I rejoiced. The thin snow of cold, empty air wisped down from the sky for the following days. By Saturday, I was looking at a course that had me seriously admiring the technicality of it. This course, loaded with off-camber snow, one very righteous descent, rutted packed snow/ice, and snotty mud rewarded the aggressive, the relaxed, and the just plain crazy. I know I felt all three at different points in the race. The race started, and I found myself sitting pretty at 10th of 22, way farther up than usual. For once, I didn't fade, holding my position, having a great time jockeying with a strong group, and being very stoked that I was staying with my friend Susan Prieto. Unfortunately, I paid the price for running the old style Shimano pedals, as the mud clogged my pedals and promptly froze into place (in Shimano's defense, this year's XTR pedals are head and shoulders better at shedding mud). I watched as my competitors powered away from me. Several times I tried to stand only to have my foot skate off the pedal and almost have a close encounter between my chamois and the top tube (scary!). But I persevered, telling myself that there was nothing to do about the pedals right then, so I should just concentrate on attacking and competing. All told, I ended up 15th, still a great place for me, and very happy.

Congratulations go out to Lisa Strong, the new women's Colorado State CX Champion, and Peter Webber, who won the Men's open. And thanks to the Colorado Veldrijden Crusade for putting together a great race!

2 comments:

Davesh Shingari said...

you are seriously crazy about cycling. all the best and u write well about cycles ofcourse:)

Lianna said...

Thank you, Davesh. Glad you enjoyed the post!