Monday, August 09, 2010

Off the back...

OK, OK, I'm guilty! I've been busy riding bikes and not posting in my blog.
But I've got some pretty neat stories to share, so here goes the first one:

Just last Tuesday I was out on a ride with my good friend (Sp)Andrew, who was visiting from the lovely Houghton, MI. Lately we've been having these wrath-of-God thunderstorms, and while we were out on the ride, another one brewed up. So, with lightening slamming into the peaks and foothillls around us every minute or better, we put our collective tails between our legs and rode the most protected way home I could find. We stood just inside the door, taking off wet helmets and gloves, when

BOOOOOOMMM!!!

I knew we'd just heard a tree blow up. We opened the door, and agreed that the chunks of tree hadn't been in the drive when we'd walked inside just thirty seconds ago. I was really curious to see where I'd come from, but the sky was still throwing itself at the ground, so we had to wait. Fifteen minutes later we ventured outside to discover our neighbor's tree split down the center, with half of it falling on the roof of the garage. Turns out our neighbor had been inside that garage when the tree landed on it.....very luckily the roof held. CRAZY!

The remains of the tree as seen from our yard

No comments: