Friday, January 08, 2010

April 15th is coming up...

For most Americans, including my Uncle Freddie, who is a very busy accountant, the Ides of April marks the tax deadline. But for me, this year, April 15th marks a life change. It will be my last day of employment as a salaried engineer at Ingersoll Rand. And I don’t intend to jump right back into the world of eight-to-five engineering. I miss the sunlight and my own free will too much for that. So, as I said in my initial job-loss celebration post, I’m expanding my coaching from my first experimental athlete (who killed it last season!!), to a full-time profession, as well as hopefully getting some income (and satisfaction) by teaching at the local University.
Since this is my first time starting a business, it’s already been a heck of an adventure, and I’m just getting started. What’s happened so far?

  • First, I announced I wanted to seriously pursue coaching. Just doing that jump started my business-forming activities. Several folks have expressed an interest in me coaching them, and several more have given me leads, and lots of good advice and direction. Thanks guys!
  • Next, I called up several folks I know who are in the coaching business. I was initially afraid. What if they begrudged the time they spent giving me advice? Or what if (the tiny voice said) they didn’t think I could do it? Well, of course these doubts were unfounded. I gained even more advice and direction from this set of folks. Again, thanks guys!
  • Also I signed myself up for USA Cycling’s Level 2 Coaching clinic, which is fast approaching. I’m looking forward to the learning, networking (yeah, networking is not usually my thing, but nerding out about bike stuff is, so I’m pretty sure I can “network” with this crowd), and yummy Olympic Training Center food.
  • I have lots of documentation on my to-do list as well. Some things, like outlining my expectations for both myself and athletes, are already done. Other things, like getting into the meat of my business plan…not so much. And that is vitally important.
  • Also in the near future: meeting with a SCORE counselor, getting Training Peaks up and running, and contacting several more people who have offered to help with advice and possible athlete recommendations. And then, countless other adventures and more stuff to learn.

At least I know I won’t be too bored in my off season!

No comments: